Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brisbane River Walk - AU$40million to repair - worth it in my mind

Whenever I travel to Brisbane, I tend to fly in the morning, as that buys me the day there before I have business to attend to.

On that first day, I like to reexplore the parts of the city I like, and a favourite of mine is one that has been in the news recently, the New Farm section of the Brisbane River Walk. Here is a photo from when I was there last march, looking from New Farm towards Storey Bridge. (This was about half an hour after having brunch at the Little Larder - where I had green eggs and ham - they were good, but Sam I am not, that place deserves about an 8/10, good staff and good coffee).

New Farm River Walk, QLD - March 2010

From the get-go, the River Walk has been an expensive proposition, apparentely costing around $750k annually to maintain (or keep it afloat, literaly). The problem is, half the riverwalk floated off during the recent floods, and tugs had to be called to keep it from destroying all in it's path - not good!

Here are a few pictures of it's final days. Lets hope it's replacement will be built to last.


Breaking up (New Farm River Walk, QLD)

Floating past Eagle St Pier (New Farm River Walk, QLD)

Tugs guide the Riverwalk under the Gateway bridges (New Farm River Walk, QLD)

Off off and away (New Farm River Walk, QLD)

No comments:

Post a Comment