Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What was in that gap: Wintec Carpark (cnr Ward and Angelsea)

Whenever I see a vacant site in a city - I wonder what was there before.

This particular site, the corner of Ward Street and Angelsea Street has been vacant for my entire time in Hamilton.

Cnr Ward Street and Angelsea (outside Wintec) 2011
 The site once contained a most hardware store: Odlin's. Odlin's Hardware became part of the Winstone Group, would would in turn become part of modern Fletchers - in other words, what would now be branded as Placemakers.
Odlin's Hardware Hamilton (cnr Ward and Angelsea) 1970
I'm not entirely sure why this store was torn down, and it's not the greatest architectural loss, but it would be good to see something other than a gravel carpark in it's place.

2 comments:

  1. By the time that building was demolished (early '90s, I think), it was pretty rundown. Its last tenant was the Smith's City furniture store. I believe Wintec had bought the land, intending to build on it (but they were also planning on demolishing Wintec House as back in the '90s it wasn't quite old enough to be appreciated).

    For years the empty site was covered with a large amount of sand, as the ground had to be compacted before it could be built on. I suspect that Wintec's plans to keep Wintec House have changed its needs for that site.

    It would really benefit from having a building there - the empty section helps create a void between Wintec and the CBD. Maybe a mix of retail at ground level and Wintec space above.

    By the way, I really enjoy your blog. I grew up in Hamilton and left in 1997, so I'm especially liking the old photos contrasted with new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robyn, I'm pleased you enjoy my blog. I have quite a collection of historic photos, but some notable omissions too - more hunting in archives. In the meantime, you can expect a post or two in this vein for at least the next year or so...

    I'm not surprised at Wintec intending to tear down Wintec house - they still came pretty near to it to years ago. They tore down the extension and the neighbouring '80s brick building for earthquake reasons, but fronted the money to do up the main body of Wintec house.

    Thankfully, the city is more viable now than in the early nineties, but I still wonder what changes I'll see over coming years...

    ReplyDelete