Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dreams Come True: The Art of Disney's Classic Fairy Tales (ACMI)

The one thing you learn more than anything else at Art Galleries and Museums, is that children tend to have very short attention spans, and many parents don't know how to keep their childrens' behaviour in check.

However, this exhibition, on Disney's classics at ACMI (the Australian Center for the Moving Image) in Melbourne was different. The children were entranced.

For me, I enjoyed the exhibit a lot more than I'd expected. I don't regard contemporary Disney children's films all the well, in my opinion they tend to be a little too politically correct, and lacking anything for the unfortunate adults who watch them.

As it turns out, the older works definately do not fall into that category. As a kid I'd never noticed the argument between the ugly duckling's parents which was obviously along the lines of "I can't possibly be the father of that...", nor the pictures of the three little piggys' parents on the wall. Mother being a sow with piglets, and father a chain of sausages.

Seeing the pre-production art also gave the characters much more life - the animations are a bit too polished - I'd actually quite like to see some of these movies in comic book form drawn by these artists.

I spent about an hour and a half here, and would definatley suggest talking kids here. Even though I went on my own, I still enjoyed it greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment