Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gustave Moreau and the Eternal Feminine

I regard the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) quite highly. Sufficienly so that when there is an exhibit they've brought in from overseas, and I've never heard of the artist before, I'll go in anyway.

So, that was me a few days ago, handing over $7.50 and an NGA membership card to go into this gallery of Moreau's work.

It is clear from the works on display that Moreau was more than a little obsessed with women, in particular heroines, queens and temptresses. The works range from biblical scenes through greek mythology.

While the exhibit only takes one smallish gallery, it is very good, and you really should spend a few minutes studying each picture in detail. Heres the one I found most intriguing - the Apparition.

Gustave Moreau - The Apparition

No comments:

Post a Comment